My first Winterlicious dinner of the year. Thank to SL, we finally had a girl night out last weekend. The destination was “Five Door North” near Yonge and Eglinton. What an interesting name. Heard some good feedback on this restaurant. At 6pm SL and I arrived at this restaurant. It was a bit of a challenge to find a parking spot – but I was quite lucky and found a parking in 5min one street south.
Came into this place I smelt good food right away. Yah, I was kinda hungry at 6pm. I think I only had a few pieces of bread that whole day. Looked around, I saw many people ordered baby back ribs – but I don’t feel like that. So, the menu above is for Winterlious and the menu below is their normal menu.
Around 7pm, We had a few pieces of breads – dip that in the olive oil. Heaven. But wait… something happened. I started feeling gas in my stomach – it usually happens whenever I feed myself when my stomach is really empty. Luckily, SL had some medicines – I picked a small pink one from the mix. I should carry something like that with me next time.
It didn’t take me that long to figure out what I wanted. Good that we have 3 persons – so we can mix and match, share and taste.
Here’s what we ordered – from left to right, top to bottom:
1. Baked Polenta and Goats Cheese w. Sundried tomato paste and pesto – it’s really filling. Had a small piece of it. It’s pretty good.
2. Warm Portobello Mushroom Salad w. asiago cheese and a lemon and fresh Oregano dressing – One of the best Portobello Mushroom that I’ve tried. Yum!
For main course:
1. Grilled Flat iron Steak w. an onion and Gorgonzola sauce – Even though they didn’t ask us how we’d like it done, it was just right – medium rare. At the first glance, I thought the portion was quite small, but later I found it was just right. (Am I eating less these days?!) I love the sauce w/ the steak.
2. Seared Tilapia ala putanesca – Had a bite – still prefer my steak
3. BBQ Baby Back Ribs w. Potato salad – fall-of-the-bone. It was good.
1. Flourless Chocolate Cake
2. Creme Brulée
All three of them were pretty good. Too bad, I was feeling the pain the whole night even though I’ve taken the medicine. According to JL (our pro baker) – there is some flour in the cheesecake.
It was a restaurant that I’d like to go back again. Service was ok, food was good, atmosphere was pretty good. Price was right. The only thing was that it was quite packed – not that comfy to sit for too long.
FYI: Five Doors North
2088 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON